Topic: Discipleship Scripture: 1 Timothy 1:1-2
Introduction to the epistle of 1 Timothy. This book tells us the most about the offices of Elders and Deacons
In the Old Testament we see Jesus in types
In the New Testament we see Jesus in the flesh
Paul's greeting: from Paul the Apostle to Timothy "my child in the faith"
Paul was his Gentile name. Saul was his Jewish name; his pedigree
- Philippians 3:5-6 Circumcised, of the people of Israel, from the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of the Hebrews, a Pharasee, a persecutor of the church, "blamless" as to keeping the Law.
- But compared to knowing Christ all this was useless.
- Acts 16:1-3 - Paul recruits Timothy the son of a Greek father. He circumcises Timothy because of the Jews and for the sake of spreading the Gospel.
- 2 Timothy 1:5 - Timothy had a sincere faith, humbly and faithfully serving the church.
- 1 Corinthians 4:17 - Sent by Paul as his representative, as Paul himself.
- 1 Tessalonians 3:2 - presented to the Thessalonians by Paul as "our brother and God's co-worker in the gospel of Christ."
- Philippians 2:22 - Timothy has proven his worth as an imitator of Christ as he serves with Paul in the Gospel.
- Acts 20:37-38 - On his way to Rome Paul visits the Ephesian church for the last time. And later send them Timothy to lead the Ephesian curch in Paul's place.
- Be Discipled by someone you can imitate
- Disciple someone else as you imitate Jesus.
- Send our best disciples to plant churches, for worldwide missions.