Topic: Church Discipline Scripture: 1 Timothy 1:18-20
1.Wage good warfare (1 Timothy 1:18b)
- Fight for holiness in your mind. take captive your thoughts.
- Stand for the truth of scripture.
- Punish every disobedience within the church.
2. Don't shipwreck your faith. (1 Timothy 1:19b)
- Hold on to the Faith with a good conscience (v19)
- Fight intentionally for the Gospel (Jesus is Lord of your life
3. Hand sinners over to Satan. (1 Timothy 1:20b)
- Purpose - That Hymenaeus and Alexander learn not to blaspheme (rejecting God and their faith), and repent, be reconciled and restored.
- Process - see Matthew 18
- Prototype - Man in 1 Corinthians 5:1-13 - His sexual immorality tolerated at first by the church but then Matthew 18 process was applied which led to repentance and restoration (2 Corinthians 2:6-8)