From Here to Eternity
Topic: Repentance Scripture: Isaiah 65
1: False repentance and false religion result in eternal misery.
2: True repentance and faith in Christ result in eternal joy.
2. "Will you restrain yourself at these things, O LORD? Will you keep silent, and afflict us...? (Isaiah 64:12)
4. “When people stop believing in God, they don't believe in nothing, they believe in anything.” - G.K. Chesterton
5. "They drank wine and praised the gods of glod and silver, bronze, iron, wood and stone" (Daniel 5:4)
6. "..no creature is hidden from hos sight, but all are naked and exposed to the eyes of him whom we must give account (Hebrews 4:13)
7. Have you experienced the gift of initial repentance?
8. "...unless you repent, you will likewise perish (Luke 13:3)
9. Do you assume guilt or deep emotion is the same as repentance?
10."..godly grief produces a repentance that leads to salvation without regret, whereas worldly grief produces death (2 Cor. 7:10)
11. Do you only “repent” out of fear of consequences?
12. “Fear-based repentance makes us hate ourselves. Joy-based repentance makes us hate the sin.” - Tim Keller
13. “Be Killing Sin, or Sin Will Be Killing You” - John Owen
14. "Whoever conceals his trangressions will not prosper, but he who confesses and forsakes them will obtain mercy. Blessed is the one who fears the LORD always, but whoever hardens his heart will fall into calamity." ( proverbs 28:13-14)
15. Do you only speak against sin publicly, but love it in private?
16. "...The scribes and the Pharisees sit on Moses' seat, so do and observe whatever they tell you, but do not practice (Matthew 23:1-3)
17. Do you only “repent” of the outward action, but still harbor sinful desires in your heart?
18. "Do not love the world or the thingsin the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him." (1 John 2:15)