Deacons (Part 2)
Topic: Deacons Scripture: 1 Timothy 3:8-13
Should only men serve as deacons? Yes
Answer is based on Scripture not:
- Personal preference
- Fairness (questions God's economy)
1. Key verse 1 Timothy 3:11
- Should "wives" be translated as "women"?
- No because word "likewise" means like another but distinct
- 1 Timothy 3:8,9 Likewise there distinguishes men from women
- 1 Timothy 3:8 distinguishes deacons from elders in vs 1-7
2 . Romans 6:1,2 Example of woman as deacon?
- V1 1 "servant" is same word as in 1 Timothy 3:11 but
- Paul is discribing Phoebe's character not her title or position like the rest of the chapter
- Other examples John 12:26 Jesus decribes himself as servant (deacon)
1 Corinthians 3:5 Paul describes himself as servant(deacon) both examples not talking
about office, but character.
- The other 3 times deacon is used in Romans has nothing to do with office of deacon
3. Arguments for only men
- 1 Timothy 3:12 Husband of one wife, not wife of one husband
- Acts 6:3 church picked 7 men as the first deacons
1. Gender roles in secular society do not apply or supercedes scripture.
2 Ephesians 4:1-3 Keep the bond of unity as a result of the Holy Spirit living is all of us.
"walk worthy of the calling you have received" ..."with all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another in love, eager to maintain the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.